Many factors can contribute to the growth of excess hair including:
- Heredity, which naturally brings excess hairs depending on your race, nationality and family.
- Normal physiological changes such as puberty, pregnancy, and menopause can cause excess hairs to grow because of hormonal changes.
- Malfunction of the endocrine system with diseases of the thyroid gland, ovaries, pituitary gland and adrenal gland are known to stimulate hair growth.
- Medications such as birth control pills, cortisone, some seizure drugs and high blood pressure medication influence the production of unwanted hair.
- Topical influences such as sunburns and excessive abrasion on the skin, scars from injuries, and tweezing and waxing will cause excess hair to grow because the skin is trying to protect itself.
- Stress, both emotional and physical, can stimulate the adrenal glands to initiate a hormonal reaction that can cause fine, soft body hair to become more course and noticeable.
Many men and women experience excess hair growth because of one or more of the above factors. We can treat any areas of the body with the exception of the ear canal or the inside of the nose.